Ensuring that all children attending Cotsford Junior School receive provision that maximises their enjoyment and achievement is central to all we offer is key to securing success in this area.
The SEND children attending our school are aged 7-11 years so consulting with them to seek their views about how we are meeting their needs has to be age appropriate, especially when many often have communication difficulties.
We use the following strategies:
- Have regular meetings and discussions with parents about what we have planned for their child and how to link this with interests and passions demonstrated at home
- Make close observations during school to identify the types of activities and experiences that most engage each child so these can be developed further and be used inform future planning
- Involve SEND children with planning their own activities and encouraging them to share what they would like to learn and participate with
- Extend any resources that they show a preference for
- Most importantly, ensure the children with SEND are happy, motivated and make expected levels of progress throughout their time in school.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.
Consultation with parents and carers of children and young people with SEND
We are committed to working with parents and carers to identify their child’s needs and support. Parents and carers will be involved throughout the process.
There is a range of ways this can be done, for example:
- Termly parents/ carers evenings;
- Ongoing discussions with a class teacher and/or SENCO;
- An ‘open-door’ policy, where parents and carers are welcome to come into school to discuss any concerns they may have;
- Through a review of a child’s SEN Support Plan or the Annual Review of their Statement of SEN or EHC Plan.